Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pandora's Box

Once you open the door to fertility treatments, there's a big gust of wind that can make it very hard to close. That's why before you even open it a crack, you need to make sure that you and your partner are on the same page. The Husband and I have reviewed the treatments that are commonly offered and done a "yay or nay" so that when we're in the thick of it, and someone is pressuring us to consider very expensive, invasive shit, we keep our eyes on the prize.

We have a beautiful child. We would like to have another beautiful child, but if we cannot, we have a beautiful child. I feel like a little bit of an ingrate for lamenting the lack of productivity on the babymaking front, but there you have it. First, we need to determine if there is a problem. Then we need to know what would be involved in fixing the problem. A change in diet to increase sperm count? Sure. A little laparoscopy to clear up a blocked fallopian tube? No problem. Endometrial biopsy? Testicular sperm extraction? Daily blood work and hormone injections? IVF? I have a tremendous amount of admiration for the people who have the strength to endure those treatments, but The Husband and I are not among them.

Oh, and if one more person I only know casually asks me "So... are you going to have another one?", I think I'm going to unload on them. If you want to show a total lack of boundaries in asking the question, I feel no shame in giving a honest answer.

No comments: